Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekend at the traditional market

What were you doing this weekend, mine was trying to slow down after a hectic week. We didn't have any big plan, just to explore our nearby compound as we just settle in to a new apt. The weather in Beijing is rather cold this day. It is predicted that next week will reach zero degree. I never feel like I am ready when winter is approaching, I hope I could find the guts to brave the cold this time. Time like this all you want to do is just bundle up on the couch, watching TV nonstop. Well they said the heater will be turn on nationally on November 15, which mark an official winter day...can't wait for that...*ehm..

Anyway, we found a traditional market not so far from our apartment compound yesterday. What I like most about traditional market is the hustle bustle of people in a hurry, the bargaining buzz and the local stuff that they offer which could surprise you in lots of way. For example here they sell fresh frogs and turtles that are still aliveas we speak and would be slaughtered right away as soon as we order it, yes they eat frogs and no I don't have pictures of those cute amphibien in their showcase...

Like most of local traditional market in Beijing, they sell groceries such as vegetables and fruits, they also sell rice and peanuts (they are crazy of chestnut)...and fresh homemade noodles. Here are some pictures of things that captured my attention...




fresh made noodle..yummy..
It's orange season now..everywhere you see people are selling orange..small, big, medium orange..
I don't know why carrots are so big in this city..
I think every city has its own authenticity, they know best of what locals would buy and their favorite food. The Chinese loves grilled chestnut and all kind of peanuts, you could see chestnut stalls everywhere. I remember when we went to Istanbul last summer, the Turkish also loves all kind of peanuts and when we stumbled in a traditional market which sells fresh vegetables, we saw that they too are selling different kind of homemade olives,which is unusual...by this I mean not all traditional market sells olives like this below..


yummy olives





The vegetables in that Turkish traditional market were so colorful I couldn't help but took tons of pictures of them, but of course I wouldn't bore you with my vegetables obsession. Anyway, I know you'll get the idea of what I am trying to talk about here. There so many things happens in a traditional market, it reflects real people in its own root, and of course local markets provide fresh goods with affordable price, that is the best thing about it. Enuff said, gotta take a rest, have to run again tomorrow, hope you all had a good weekend and ready to face another Monday. Cheers !!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails